I’ve decided to participate in the Summer Blog Challenge. You’ll notice I’ve added the button to my sidebar, so if you’re interested in reading posts from any one of the participants, this would be the place to find the links for everyone’s individual blogs. Basically, it’s a challenge to post a blog post every day and there’s a prompt for what to post. From this point on, I’ll probably include my blog challenge post inside of another recipe post. I’ve missed the first week, so here are my answers for those days, including today
June 1– Why are you doing this challenge.
I wanted to participate to encourage myself to post every day. I don’t want to forget about this blog at all and I know it will encourage my readers to come back if I have new content every day
June 2– Post a picture of you smiling.
Me and the hubs
on our honeymoon in Jamaica
June 3– 15 interesting facts about yourself.
1. I love music! Especially country music. Music keeps me motivated while I’m cooking and baking. Currently I’m listening to “Drunk on You” by Luke Bryan. <3 this song!
2. I have a huuuuuge sweet tooth. No meal is complete without dessert at mi casa. This blog will eventually be covered with a lot of desserts, I'm sure.
3. I love dogs. Especially mine We have two, and you can see their pictures on my about me page!
4. My first job was at a veterinarian office. I worked in the kennel and took care of the cats and dogs by feeding and medicating them, cleaning up after them, bathing them, taking the dogs out to potty, etc. To date, this is still my favorite job I’ve ever had. Animals are just great
5. The hubs and I are moving our way towards no processed foods, but it’s not as easy as it seemed like it would be. I’m letting it be a slow process so that I don’t get overwhelmed. It’s something I’ve been learning a lot about lately and want very much for my husband and I and our future children. So far, it’s actually been really fun because I’ve had to become more creative in the kitchen with substitutions, making my own recipes, etc.
6. Along the same line, the dogs have been eating better than us for years. I’ve been feeding Mandy and Nova an exclusively raw diet for over six years now. The improvements in their health is really wonderful. They are always mistaken for being younger than they are (Nova is 7.5, Mandy is 14.5). For those who don’t know, a raw diet for dogs is exclusively raw meat, raw bones, and raw organs such as liver, kidney, heart, etc.
7. I have a hard time picking a favorite food, but I’ve always had a thing for mashed potatoes and yeast rolls. And brownies. Definitely brownies. And anything else chocolate. It’s a problem, really.
8. Our honeymoon in Jamaica was the first time I’ve ever been out of the USA. I miss Jamaica on a pretty frequent basis. One of the best experiences of my life … aside from our wedding day and the day of the proposal.
9. Speaking of the proposal, wedding, and honeymoon: I still cry when I think about any one of those days. To be fair, we’ve only been married since October, but I have to wonder if I’ll ever be able to talk about those days without crying and getting overly giggly and happy. Not that I’m complaining, because it’s really a wonderful thing! I’m so in love <3
10. The hubs and I are trying to get into running. We ran our first 5k last month, without any training. We really just wanted to jump start into it. How are we doing since then? Ummm...we haven't run very much ... at all. But we have a 5K next month we plan on entering, and we're determined to start training for it this upcoming week!
11. The hubs is much more social than I am. He makes friends wherever he goes. I wish I could do that. I'm the shy, quiet type. Until I get to know you, then you can't get me to shut up. You have been warned (har, har).
12. I've always been a computer geek. I once had an Aaron Carter fan site that made an appearance in J-14 magazine and was dubbed as "the grandaddy of all Aaron Carter fan sites!" My mom and I went out and bought all the J-14 magazines we could when that issue came out. Can I just make a note that I was, like, 11 at the time? So, no, I'm not embarrassed. haha!
13. I want to travel the world. But then, who doesn't? But the hubs and I have big plans to travel a lot before we have kids.
14. I miss my friends since moving to this city. But then, I love this city. The hubs and I plan to live here forever. I just wish my friends would all move over here too!
15. I love, love, love to garden and grow my own vegetables. It's so satisfying for me. I am currently growing jalapenos, red bell peppers, sweet heat peppers, fresno peppers, habanero peppers, oregano, basil, cilantro, rosemary, eggplant, japanese eggplant, three different types of tomatoes, sweet mint (because we love mojitos!), and some others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.
June 4– Meaning behind your blog name.
I spent way too long trying to come up with the name and I hope it sticks with people. One Sweet Heat has multiple meanings. One, the hubs is from Mexico, and he’s really sweet…and hot. So, yeah, that’s that.
Oh, and our love is a sweet heat. I’ll stop there.
Aaannnnddd… I like to cook with a lot of spices, and bake with a lot of sweets So, sweet heat!
This is less having to do with the blog, but it still fit: we just moved near a beach (by near, I mean 30 minutes away), so finally, I can say the Florida heat is pretty sweet. It was not sweet when I was living 2 hours from the beach, it just sucked! Now I enjoy bike rides at the most beautiful beach, concerts on the beach, fishing on the beach, etc. Life is pretty great over here.
June 5– Short term goals for this month and why those goals.
1. To work on this blog a lot and really get it going. I have big plans for this baby
2. To focus on getting the word out about my photography business that I’ve just started. Trying to start a new business is not easy, especially when you’ve just moved to a new area. I want to get out and about this month and see if I can find some businesses that will let me drop off some business cards.
3. To make my own yogurt. This is step 1 for us to save money on our grocery bill. We use a lot of greek yogurt, so I’ve decided to start making my own. But we’ve gotta use up what’s in the fridge, first
4. To focus more on God and the bible. When we make God the center of our lives, we are happier together and individually. Unfortunately, without our small group and our church that we loved so much, it’s been harder for us to keep Him the center of our lives over here in our new home, and though we still pray often, we study the bible less and talk about Him less. We desperately want to change that. This is really the biggest goal, and more of a long-term goal, but it’s a goal for this month nonetheless because we are longing to be close to Him again.
June 6– Nicknames you have & why you have them.
Oh gosh, the hubs has a million nicknames for me. Which is funny, because I really grew up with next to none. Everyone always just called me Sarah.
Some of his nicknames for me are Chumper Love, Chumpers (which came from the first one), Baby Boo, Honey Bun..and tons more. And I have no idea where any of them came from! But they sure are fun and I love it when he calls me any of them He has plenty too. In fact, we never call each other Sarah or Marcos except when we are referring to each other in conversations with other people. Towards each other, it sounds so weird to call each other by our first names!
June 7– Picture of something that makes you happy.
The hubs. Duh! Yeah, he’s pretty much the greatest. Even better is this picture: The hubs in Jamaica. Can we go back?!
June 8– Not including blogging your favorite guilty pleasure.
Brownies. But I think I mentioned that up there ^^. Sooo…hmmm…cleaning. Yes, I love to clean, and yes, it gives me pleasure. I love to clean during the day while hubs is at work. I turn up the music, then start cleaning the house. I dance to music while I’m vacuuming, doing dishes, etc. It’s fun, I swear!
Alright, I told y’all that it’s hard to get me to shut up, so I’m sorry for being so wordy! But like I said, from here on out I’ll post the blog challenge prompt in that day’s individual post.