I love Mac & Cheese. Baked or stovetop, I don’t care – it’s all good for me!
You know what else I love? Mac & Cheese as a meal. But somehow, I don’t feel like mac & cheese alone makes a meal.
This one does.
The addition of ground turkey with a spicy kick makes this one hearty enough to eat alone. And the pasta is cooked over a simmer in the milk, so there’s no draining and it gives it a more creamy flavor.
Plus, it’s easy and fast, and it satisfies the little girl in me (who loved the blue box mac & cheese) while not making me feel overly guilty for eating it.
Recipe adapted from Macaroni and Cheesecake
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups uncooked whole grain penne pasta
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely diced
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Pour uncooked pasta and milk into a large saucepan over medium heat. Let milk come to a simmer (do not boil). Cook the pasta, simmering, for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet with olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, red bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno pepper, and ground turkey. Cook until turkey is browned and onions and peppers are softened.
- Once the pasta is cooked through, add the salt and pepper and cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese melts. Pour turkey mixture into the pasta and stir to evenly coat. Serve and enjoy!