Almond Flour…my new best friend in baking. I am SO excited! My nut butter cookies have been a success so far, and I can’t wait to experiment with this as well! Keeping it grain free and healthy with all of the usual unhealthy treats is an awesome feeling. I have such a huge sweet tooth, and almond flour is going to be yet another way for me to make healthy baked goods that I don’t have to feel guilty for enjoying!
What’s even better about this almond flour is that I can make it myself! If you don’t have a VitaMix, you can buy almond flour at specialty grocery stores. But if you do have a VitaMix (a must-have in my kitchen!), then you can make it yourself! Just take raw almonds & turn your VitaMix onto the high setting. Blend for a very short amount of time, about 5-10 seconds, just long enough to turn the almonds into a flour consistency. Be careful not to over-blend or it will turn into almond butter (hey- if this happens, just make nut butter cookies instead!). Also, blend no more than 1 cup of almonds at a time.
Mmmm… these were so good! This makes a lot of cookies, so unless if you are having a party, you may want to cut the recipe in half.
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or raw sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed banana (preferably an over-ripe banana)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375°
- In a medium bowl, mix together almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, & salt
- In a stand mixer, beat together apple sauce, sugar, honey, egg, mashed banana, & vanilla
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients & mix until thoroughly blended
- Fold in oats, nuts, & white chocolate chips
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, drop by 2-teaspoon fulls
- Bake 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes approximately 75-80 cookies.